Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy 2014!

Oh my goodness! Happy New Year my dear friends and family!!! Can you believe that it is another new year already?? :o It went sooo fast! 

Well, this week was kind of slow because no one wanted to listen as they prepared to party on the new year... but it was still a very fun week :)

On 31 December 2013 we had to be in our flats at 6pm. Sister Douglas had put a roast in the slow cooker (crock pot) earlier that day so we could have roast beef sandwiches for dinner when we got home. They were so yummy! I was blessed with a companion who can cook :D I cut up a melon and pineapple to go with our sandwiches. Then we made chocolate brownies for dessert. They turned out AMAZING! Oh man, it was a fun evening! While we ate dinner we watched the Doctrine and Covenants DVDs. After dinner we caught up in our journals and coloured in colouring books. It was very relaxing. I LOVE colouring!!! We went to sleep at 10pm. I was in a deep and beautiful sleep when suddenly I heard loud whistling noises!! Turns our Sister Douglas couldn't sleep, so at midnight she decided to celebrate the new year by playing her tin whistle as loud as she could. She thinks she is so clever. Hahaha! Apparently there were fireworks going off all night as well, even though they are illegal here... I didn't even hear or see anything... I fell right back asleep when I realized it was just Sister Douglas playing her tin whistle. Man, my family thought I was a deep sleeper BEFORE my mission... I have definitely gotten to be a deeper sleeper ON my mission! I know, I didn't think that was possible either! Haha! 

January 1, 2014!!! Woot, woot! 
We woke up at 7am (Yes, that is sleeping in!!). Then we walked to Bishop McManus's hourse to help Sister McManus take down Christmas decorations at 10am. The walk is 32 minutes long and it was pouring rain. It was weird being outside because NO ONE else was awake! It felt like we were the only people on earth! Weird, right? After we took all the decorations down we walked to Sister Shine's home and played Family Feud with her. Then Michelle came and picked us up and we watch Monsters University with her and her two sisters. I love that movie so much! It is just so cute!!! After that movie we played SCategories and then watched the Grinch! :) Then Michelle took us back to Sister Shine's home and we watch Brave :) That is a good movie too :) Sister Shine fed us lamb, broccoli, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnip (I think that's what that whitish veggie is called, right?). I made the gravy. Now, I don't want to brag... but I have never tasted such good gravy before ;) Haha, just kidding!A She has given me the gravy job 3 times now and before I made it WAY too thick so she had to fix it, but she keeps giving me that job so I can learn how to do it and get better. Practice makes perfect is what she always tells me. Now I am pretty pro at it :) After dinner we played a game called Dabbler... or something like that. We played it at the cabin though! Does anyone remember it? It is SUCH a fun game! You's should play it again at the cabin this year!! :)

Scripture of the Week:
3 Nephi 18:20-21
*Pray with faith
*Family prayer is important- don't take it lightly

Quote of the Week: 
"God doesn't care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where your are and, with His help where you are willing to go." -Holland "Remember Lot's Wife" is a really good talk! You should all take some time to read it! :) And think to yourself where are you willing to go this new year of 2014? :) 

I love you all and hope that you have a wonderful new year!!!! :D
xoxoxoxox
-Sister Kelsey Griffin

P.S. "Because I Have Been Given Much"
Hymn #219
*Additional Missionary Verse
By: Kenneth Cope, Preston England MTC 1999

"Because of thy life's mission, Lord,
I too will serve.
I'll leave the comfort of my home to teach thy word.
I'll seek thy sheep who've gone astray and
those who've never known the way.
I will make thy work, my work, today."

No comments:

Post a Comment